Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Runaway Prayer Train

So last night was frustrating, and I kept trying to think of what to say to someone who told me that my children were "distracting to the old timers."  In my fuming, I thought about the translation, "Suffer the little children to come to Me" (and telling the person: "Suffer") and what that word was in Greek.

So my husband says that the word in Matthew 19:14 was the same as used in the Lord's prayer.  When I brought up the bilingual Lord's prayer, Teddy comes up and says, "That's mostly the Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name..." I whispered to my husband, "Mostly!"

Teddy nodded and continued, "It's mostly like: Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of truth..." and didn't stop until he'd paced us through the entire trisagion prayers.

I think this is the best come-back I can offer, and I'm glad I keep my children in church, even if other people have to look at them and hear them. (Gasp.)  Just wish I could keep my mouth shut and my mind focused on the service.

(For the record, my children were actually pretty well-behaved through the entire service, and I didn't say that to the person.)

2 comments:

Christine said...

I have heard this many times as well. I guess over the last few years, I let it bother me less and less. Once, when Demetri was being "less than good", I leaned over to a friend of mine who was sitting in our pew and said "I guess you can just consider him a part of your "askesis" - we could all learn to focus on God even amongst distractions" !

Christine said...

and I just love your son's responses ! He is just too precious. It is HIS church, as much as it is anyones ! :)